Wednesday 1 May 2013

The Bible Holds Up To Our Scrutiny

Have you ever been reading the Bible and come to a passage you don't understand? I certainly have.  Often I can find an explanation by asking my husband Andrew, who has been studying the Bible for longer than I, or by looking into a commentary we have by John MacArthur or John Gill. However, sometimes, even these sources don't satiate my need for understanding, and I can start to wonder if there even is an answer to my questions!

At these times it's good to remember that the Bible holds up to our scrutiny!  We don't have to be nervous about the questions we have, as if we might discover a hole, contradiction, or untruth in the Scriptures - because this won't happen! We know that God never lies, and the Bible is His word:
"He is the Rock, His work is perfect.  For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He." (Deuteronomy 32:4)
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16)
That doesn't mean we won't have questions though!  One of the amazing things about studying the Bible is that it is so rich and deep that there is always something new to learn and be gained from it's reading.  There is wisdom and guidance on the practicalities of life, and through the Scriptures we can come to understand how Jesus Christ came to the world and died so that we might live, and live abundantly!  I love the Word of God, and it even speaks to this issue of questions!


Romans is one of my favourite books of the Bible.  It tells us so richly of the amazing thing God has done for us through Jesus, and how steadfast that love is.  In fact, the name of our blog is based on a verse in Romans.  However, Romans is also fraught with sections which I don't understand.  Paul (the author), deals with complex issues like the sovereignty of God and the free will of man.  But what I love, is that Paul also shows us what our reaction should be when we're faced with the things of God which are beyond our understanding:
O, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgements and His ways past finding out! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?' 'Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?' For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever." (Romans 11:33-36)
Paul doesn't express frustration that he doesn't understand everything, instead he issues praise for what he does know about God.  We can follow his example and praise God for his wisdom and knowledge.  Praise Him for knowing everything, and being Lord over all.  If we are His children, than we should praise Him because He is working everything out for our good.  We can trust in him, and we can trust in His word.  In these truths we can find peace even when we don't have all the answers.

(Recently, Andrew and I have been singing and memorizing the Romans Doxology, the lyrics of which are the above verses.  It is a beautiful hymn, and having it tucked into my heart has helped me to reflect on this passage.  Praise the Lord for opening up more and more of His truth!)

post signature
Linked up at A Mama's Story, The Modest Mom, What Joy Is Mine,  Growing Home, Above Rubies,  Deep Roots At Home, Raising Homemakers, We Are That Family, Walking Redeemed, Graced Simplicity, Raising Mighty Arrows

5 comments:

  1. I love exploring the Word too and there are loads of bits I don't understand. The epistles are particularly hard work at times and I find I prefer to take individual verses of truth as I become quiet swamped if I read too much in one go.

    The Bible does indeed stand up to scrutiny though and even when we don't understand stuff we can mine if for the depths of it's truth. I find that Scripture is the best interpreter of Scripture and there can be loads of benefit to cross referencing with those more tricky passages.

    Love your honesty and reading about what you have shared from your journey here. Linked here from Raising Homemakers. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if the Bible didn't stand up to scrutiny? If the minute we look closely it disintegrates into meaningfulness. The beauty of the Word of God is that it stands forever as truth. I need that in my life. And I'm so blessed just reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very true. One ministry that has helped me understand things about the Bible is khouse.org. Chuck Missler is an amazing student of the word and he comes on Bible Discovery TV if you have streaming tv through ROKU. Great post, great site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Your passion for truth is infectious! And Romans just happens to be one of my favorite books, as well. Actually, I love all of Paul's writings because his heart was so entirely kind and focus on Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kasey! Your encouraging comment has been ringing through my ears the past few days! :)

      Delete